Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas in Africa


I'm in my room with my fan spinning on the highest speed.  Sweat is dripping down my neck. It's summertime here. I'm miles away from friends and family during the holiday season.  I hear Christmas music in some of the stores here.  I see posters of  Black Santa Clauses advertising cell phone services. It doesn't feel like Christmas.  I'm not expecting any gifts.  No one will be receiving any from me.  That's just how it'll be this year.  That said, volunteers can't leave their province for the first three months for security reasons.  In other words, my roommate and I have to stay in Zambezia until March.  There aren't many volunteers in Zambezia from my cohort and the volunteers from other cohorts have left for other  provinces for the holidays.  Luckily, my roommate and I were invited to have Christmas dinner with a missionary couple who live  in our city.  My first Christmas should be low-key   It'll be very different from eating around the dinner table with my family and playing games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm blessed and very thankful for all that I have here and for the people I have met.  

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well.  Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you enjoyed dinner with the missionary family. That was very sweet of them to invite you.

    ReplyDelete