Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Little Things That Make My Day In Mozambique



  • Turkey-watching outside of my bedroom window.
  • Finding out that there are avocados at the local market.  
  • Being able to watch cable TV at an ex-pat's house in my community.
  • Waking up to the sound of running water.  My community sometimes goes weeks without running water.
  • Receiving emails from family and friends who just want to check-in and say, "Hello."
  • Hearing my students singing a song in the hallway that I had taught them in English class.
  • When my basketball girls go from barely knowing how to dribble a ball to running down the entire court dribbling without looking down at the ball.
  • Comments on my blog or Youtube videos.
  • Taking a bucket bath outdoors at another volunteer's house and looking up to see a blinking sky full of stars.
  • Closing my eyes while eating a sweet pineapple.  It's only when I open them that I remember that I'm not eating candy.
  • Getting new music and movies from other volunteers
  • Playing "Uno" or "Tag" with the kids in the community.
  • Making food, going shopping, or getting dresses tailored with my neighbor friend, Sonia.
  • Drinking Sangria on a Friday night with Sonia.
  • Watching Disney cartoons in Portuguese with the kids in my neighborhood.
  • Getting my hair braided outside by neighbor.  It's a great way to make new friends.
  • Receiving thoughtful care packages from my parents.
  • Starting my day with yoga stretches.  Namaste.
  • Learning a new song to play on my ukulele, especially a revelent one that I can teach to my students.
  • Making art that's therapeutic.
  • Buying 10 mangoes and a pineapple for a dollar.
  • Watching TV shows and movies from Brazil and being able to understand about 90% of what the actors are saying.
  • By the time it's pay day at the end of the month, I still have money left over from the previous month.  Hmmm....a new blouse, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment