Thursday, January 30, 2014

'Ta Chique, Maputo!

Last week I went to Maputo, the country's capital, for a week and I had a great time.  The other 50 plus volunteers in my group (Moz 19) had medical and dental exams along with conferences about safety and security and cultural differences between provinces.  It was great to see everyone and there were some people who live in the South and Central regions that I haven't seen since training in December 2012.

 I was last in Maputo in December 2012 and I've since forgotten how developed the city is.  They have stores like Walmart where I was able to purchase a yoga mat and Italian and Greek dressing.  My stomach was happy because I ate Mexican, Italian, Thai, and Indian food while I was there.  It was great to be in that fast-paced environment, since I've been living in an town where people still go to curandeiros, community healers, instead of going to a hospital.  Although there's nothing wrong with the traditional lifestyle, in fact I love it, it was great to change the scenery a bit.  But I still want to acknowledge the city and say, "'Ta Chique, Maputo!"  You're fancy, Maputo!

Here are some pictures of the fanciness:

The billboard says, "There's a smile."

"One more kiss"

View from my hotel room.

My fancy hotel room.

The restaurant "Cafe Sol" is where they had the delicious Mexican food.

Veggie Burrito

Cheese Quesadilla


On a side note, the new school year will begin February 4th, so I may not be posting as many blogs because I'll be busy again now that I'll be teaching and coaching. However, I do plan to post at least a couple of blogs each month.

Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment