Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Legumes or Lamb Chops?


Have you ever had to alter your beliefs/lifestyle in order to "fit in", avoid criticism , or to even survive?  I've been thinking about having to change my eating habits once I move to my host country.  I've been a vegetarian for most of my life and the last time that I ate animal flesh was about 11 years ago.  On January 18th, 2012, I made a conscious decision to become vegan.  That's right, I don't eat animals or animal based products.  My diet today consists mainly of fruits, vegetables, herbs, beans, and grains and nuts.

Maybe I'll discuss why I became vegan in another post, but for now, I just want to express how uneasy I feel about the possibility of having to eat animal products.  I still don't know which country I'll be staying, but I've contemplated, "What if my host community eats mainly goats from their backyard where they slice off their heads and serve the guts for dinner? How will I manage to survive?" I'm hoping that there will be enough plant based foods for me to eat year-round where I won't have to compromise my values and lifestyle.  This will be a challenge since I may not be able to  walk to a farmer's market and select as much juicy fruit as I wish.  At the same time, I may be placed in a community where there is an abundance of fruits and vegetables and I may be able to do okay.

I'll definitely revisit this topic once I get to my site.  Have a fabulous day!

2 comments: