Friday, May 16, 2014

My life in the Peace Corps, as told by Disney Characters

This is how I look when the neighborhood crianças, kids, shout outside of my window at 6 o'clock on a Saturday morning begging, "Can a borrow your basketball, teacher Gina?"


This is how I act when I get to travel and see other volunteers


My eyes pop out like this at the end of a trimester when a student tells me that he/she still needs to take exam 1 and 2


This is me getting my buckets out while it's raining to get fresh water


My expression when a random guy on the street asks me for my  number or to marry him


When there's nothing to do at home



There are two reactions that volunteers have when a Peace Corps volunteer who doesn't know me, mistakes me for a Mozambican:

Reaction # 1

Reaction #2




This is my beatific smile when my basketball girls team wins a game




My face when I realize that I have to sit in the back of a chapa (a mini bus that serves as public transportation) full of passengers, enraged chickens, bags of smelly dried fish, and a vomiting baby



This is what I feel like doing when someone says that I speak Portuguese well. Obrigada!


What I look like when I finally eat Mexican food here



I have the same facial expression when I see a mouse zipping around my house as I do after my community members tell me that I have gained weight




This is what I want to say when volunteers are fofocar-ing, gossiping




My face when I'm trying to hide at home when my neighbors are knocking on the front door

I'm always dreaming about living like a princess when I return to the United States.  I look forward to seeing everyone in 6 months! Woohoo!


2 comments: