Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Black Magic at the Licungo River

 The sun is out and I'm wearing short sleeves and a smile on my face because it's not too hot. As I head towards the bridge, the people in my community point their fingers and their eyes get big as if they saw the moon on fire. People crowd the bridge to get a view of a slinky reptile in the Licungo River.  They've spotted a crocodilo, a crocodile.

I found it odd when I first moved to my community over a year ago, that a crocodilo would be so fascinating. Later, I learned that the people from this region believe that the crocodiles are humans in disguise who are out to devour people. According to legend, someone can see a witchdoctor to ask for whatever they wish. They may wish for more money or that their children be successful. Some may actually cast a spell so that a crocodile can eat their enemy alive. When the individual requests success or something else along those line, their wish cannot be granted unless they're willing to sacrifice an innocent person. If the person agrees to continue with a magia, the magic, then a random person who happens to be taking a bath in the Licungo River one day may find that it is his or her last bath.

A few weeks ago, a crocodile killed a 5-year-old girl in the Licungo River. One of my neighbors was explaining to me that this probably happened because someone requested something and needed to sacrifice a victim to execute the spell. I asked if people could only possess crocodiles. “No”, she replied in Portuguese, “A human can possess snakes and other creatures as well, not just crocodiles. It just depends on the region of the country the magic is taking place and what kind of animals like in that area”. 

Still doubtful that this was a widespread belief here, I asked a Physics teacher if he believed that the crocodilos in the Licungo River were actually human and if he believed in black magic. He verified, “They're certainly humans. I'm the type of person who has to see things to believe them, but I believe in black magic now. One day I was with my friends near an open field and we saw people on a flying saucer. We saw the home-made flying disc crash...” I interrupted, “Wait, why were people on a flying saucer?” “People like traveling without having to pay for a plane ticket, but they need black magic to help with that. This time, the black magic backfired on them.”

Many people in my community are Catholic, Christian, or Muslim, but the ideas around black magic are very much alive here like the hungry crocodiles in the Licungo River.

I thought I'd share this belief with you all because I find it fascinating.



1 comment:

  1. Black magic scares me like a horror flic. Please stay away from the river and witches. There's also a lot of black magic in El Salvador as well.

    ReplyDelete