Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I Love Letters!


A month before I left for Mozambique, I had a "See You Later Party" in San Diego with some friends.  
They wrote me letters so that I could reflect on our shared memories.  I would be able
to read them when I felt a little homesick. I told them I wouldn't open them until I arrived.
Last night, which was six months later, I finally read all of the letters.  I don't know why it took me so long to read them.  Perhaps I was afraid that I would miss everyone so much, that I would want to 
come back home.  Even though I miss my friends and family,
 I love it too much here in Mozambique and I'm not ready to return.  However, what reading the letters made me realize is that I have a great support network in California.
Some people shared how I positively impacted their lives and that made me feel more special than
a teacher's pet.

Sometimes it's easier to write out thoughts and feelings than to express them face-to-face. It made
me smile when people wrote that I inspired them and that they never had the opportunity to tell me.
  It made me tear up when someone wrote that they felt very comfortable talking to me when they
felt like no one else could understand them.  I'll keep the letters for the rest of my time
here in Mozambique. I'll read them when I want to be reminded of home and of fabulous friends.
If you want to send me letters, please send them to:

Gina Moore, PCV
Rua Dar-Es-Salam, nr 14
Bairro Central, Caixa Postal 526
Nampula, Mozambique

Or if you would like me to send you a letter/postcard, email me at mozampaz@gmail.com with your
home address.  (FYI: It may take some time for you to receive the letter.)





No comments:

Post a Comment