Sunday, January 6, 2013

What do you eat in Moz?


I’m very fortunate to be placed in a city where there are a plethora of fresh fruits and vegetables.  While walking on the street, I see mango trees everywhere. I might even see a glowing mango on the ground and eat it as I walk.  I've never tasted mangoes, pineapples, pears, apples, and bananas as sweet as they are here in Mozambique. 

Also, there are outdoor markets where farmers sell their produce, similar to what we may call farmer's markets in the States.  Here's an estimate of how much fruit and vegetables cost here in U.S. dollars.   

6 Avocados=$1, 
6 Coconuts= $1
30 Mangoes= $1
1 Pineapple= $.75
12 Tomatoes= $1
10 Bananas=$1
30 Limes=$1
10 Potatoes= $1
12 Green peppers=$1
10 Carrots=$1
4 Cucumbers=$1
6 Papayas= $1

A lot of people have been asking me what I eat here, so here are a few things that I make.  I don't eat meat or dairy products, but I'm still able to survive.

This morning I made a mango, banana, pineapple smoothie with a blender that I brought with me from the States.  It was so delicious! All I added to it was water and I put it in my freezer.  Sometimes I add coconut water to my smoothies.


My roommate and I sometimes make bean and rice burritos with guacamole and mango salsa. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Also, I often make salads with cucumber, tomatoes, and carrots or a stir fry with cabbage, green peppers, carrots and rice.  Sometimes I make spaghetti or lentil soup. Further,french fries are probably one of my favorite types of foods, even though they aren't that healthy.  But sometimes I'll bake potatoes or sweet potatoes in our stove and they come out just as tasty.  If I'm feeling really creative, I might prepare a vegetable coconut curry and throw in some potatoes.   For a snack I might have cut apples with cinnamon and peanut butter or I'll make hummus and eat it with crackers crackers (Thank goodness they have garbanzo beans here). 

Fortunately, I'm not starving over here and I have a lot of food options.  If you have any other vegan recipes for me, I would love to take a look at them.  I'll probably post another blog in the future with other things that I cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment